An arrest has been made in the investigation surrounding the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, but authorities say it is not the breakthrough many had been hoping for.
Federal officials confirmed that a man from Southern California has been taken into custody, though investigators emphasize he is not believed to be involved in the abduction of the 84-year-old woman. Instead, he is accused of sending fraudulent messages to the Guthrie family that referenced cryptocurrency payments.
Arrest and Charges
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Arizona, Derrick Callella was arrested on February 5 in Hawthorne, California, near Los Angeles International Airport.
Prosecutors say Callella faces two federal charges:
Transmitting a message demanding ransom for the release of a kidnapped person
Making a phone call without identifying himself, with the intent to harass, threaten, or abuse
Authorities allege that Callella sent a text message to Nancy Guthrie’s daughter, Annie, and her husband, Tommaso Cioni, stating:
“Did you get the bitcoin were [sic] waiting on our end for the transaction.”
Officials stress that the message appears to be a hoax and is not connected to Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance.
Callella is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court. His attorney was not immediately available for comment.
Timeline of the Alleged Messages
According to a federal complaint filed by FBI Special Agent Kerry Witherspoon, the text messages were sent on February 4, shortly after the Guthrie family released a public video pleading for Nancy’s safe return.
Investigators allege Callella later admitted to sending the texts using a voice-over-Internet-Protocol (VOIP) application, stating he wanted to see whether the family would respond.
Data reviewed by authorities indicates that approximately three minutes after sending the texts, Callella placed a phone call to a family member. The call lasted just nine seconds.
Officials clarified that these messages are not linked to a separate ransom demand sent on February 2 to Tucson television station KOLD. That earlier message reportedly included a Bitcoin wallet address and remains under active investigation.
FBI: Ransom Note Still Under Review
While authorities have not confirmed whether the earlier ransom message is legitimate, the FBI says it is treating it seriously.
During a February 5 briefing, Jon Edwards, assistant special agent in charge of the FBI’s Tucson field office, stated:
“We’re taking the ransom note serious, and we are following that part of the investigation.”
Prior Legal Issues
Public records show this is not Callella’s first encounter with the justice system.
In October 2025, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office identified him as one of 13 county employees accused of fraudulently collecting unemployment benefits during the COVID-19 pandemic. Prosecutors allege the group collectively stole more than $430,000 between 2020 and 2023.
Callella was charged with one felony count of grand theft and one misdemeanor count related to allegedly receiving nearly $10,000 in unemployment benefits while still receiving a county paycheck. That case is still pending.
Family Continues to Plead for Answers
Nancy Guthrie, the mother of journalist Savannah Guthrie, was reported missing from her Tucson-area home on February 1. Authorities have stated they are investigating her disappearance as a criminal matter.
In emotional videos shared on social media on February 4 and 5, Savannah and her siblings addressed whoever may be responsible, asking for direct communication and proof that their mother is alive.
Savannah said the family is proceeding with caution amid widespread speculation:
“We need to know without a doubt that she is alive and that you have her.”
FBI Warning and Ongoing Search
At a February 5 press conference, FBI Phoenix Special Agent in Charge Heith Janke described Callella’s arrest as related to an “impostor ransom demand” and issued a warning to others attempting to exploit the situation.
“To those impostors who are trying to take advantage and profit from this situation,” he said, “we will investigate and ensure you are held accountable.”
The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to Nancy Guthrie’s recovery or the arrest of those responsible for her disappearance.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the FBI at 800-225-5324, reach out to a local FBI office, or submit tips through the FBI’s official tip portal.
For now, while one arrest has been made, the central mystery remains unresolved — and the search for Nancy Guthrie continues.

Leave a Reply